The Creative Nonprofit Podcast Episode 004
For many of you, emails are an afterthought. Or they’re just a monthly effort to get a couple people to come back and donate. But I want it to be so much more for you.
I want you to use your email, and specifically your newsletter, to help you create your entire content and communications strategy.
And even more than that, I want you to scrap the newsletter altogether, and replace it with a magazine. That’s what this episode is all about. You can create an email magazine, using that as your core focus, and take it as a springboard to create the rest of your content.
The full list of notes from episode 4:
- The problem with relying on social media as a main communication platform [1:03]
- How email blends communications and content [2:20]
- Using email as a content distribution channel [3:07]
- The purpose of email should be consistent value, then sporadic requests [5:40]
- How to not be scared of sending too many emails [7:00]
- Different formats of newsletters [7:50]
- Doing away with “newsletters” [8:17]
- Naming Your “Newsletter” as a magazine [9:40]
- What content to put in your email magazine [10:40]
- The magazine format as your framework for content [11:52]
- Linking to content instead of embedding it [12:55]
- Branching out of your newsletter to build your content strategy [14:08]
- Fitting in other emails outside of your newsletter [16:25]