The Creative Nonprofit Podcast Episode 003
One of the biggest reasons nonprofits aren’t creating more content, is because they haven’t outlined it ahead of time. I know, I used to do this.
If you’re tasked with “writing an article” or whatever type of content piece it is, sitting down at your desk and starting from zero, with no ideas or plan can make you pull your hair out. You’ll start writing, stop, change the focus, stop, get frustrated, go grab a coffee, get called into something else, and not get back to it. And boom, another month has gone by without any articles.
My antidote to this confusion, fear, procrastination, and lack of momentum? Brainstorming ideas ahead of time so you know exactly what you’re supposed to do when you sit down to create that content – regardless of what type of content it is.
In this episode of The Creative Nonprofit podcast I talk all about brainstorming content ideas. I take you through capturing ideas, right to different content types and examples from nonprofits who are creating amazing content.
Topics and Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Why It’s so hard for nonprofits to create content [1:31]
- How to capture ongoing ideas with an “inbox” [2:43]
- Reference to David Allen’s book, Getting Things Done [2:52]
- Content Type 1 Brainstorm – Industry News [5:49]
- Ex: Heart & Stroke Foundation – 6 Things to Learn from the New Food Guide [7:24]
- Ex: Canadian Wildlife Federation – A New Start for the North Atlantic Right Whale? [8:52]
- Content Type 2 Brainstorm – Organization News [11:00]
- Ex: charity: water – Say Hello to Our Fall 2018 Interns [12:07]
- A unique type of organization news it’s actually thinking negative. Share your struggles, not just your successes [14:03]
- Content Type 3 Brainstorm – Research and Data [16:26]
- Content Type 4 Brainstorm – Educational Content [21:46]
- Ex: Red Cross – Snow Day Activities to Help The Whole Family [23:13]
- Ex: CNIB Foundation – Super Easy 3 Ingredient Holiday Recipes [25:16]
- Ex: Movember Foundation – Grooming TIps: Week One [26:49]
- Content Type 5 – Stories [27:43]
- Ex: Doctors Without Borders – Supporter Stories: A BC artist donates proceeds from the sale of his paintings to MSF [28:50]
- Content Type 6 – Participatory Content [30:27]
- Ex: Red Cross Survey – Do you know the cold, hard facts about winter safety? [30:56]
- Ex: Canadian Wildlife Federation – 2018 Reflections of Nature Annual Photo Contest [32:29]
This is an amazing exercise that everyone in your organization should be aware of. They can help you create and capture ideas from anywhere. The more you can come up with content ideas beforehand, the better chances you’ll actually create the content, be consistent, and provide real value.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in your favourite player and share it with your nonprofit friends to help them grow their followers and relationship!